Diary of Topical Steroids Withdrawal at Hannan Chuo Hospital



I would like to share a comic by Ms. Yoshimi Numajiri, who tells her experience at Hannan Chuo Hospital in 2012. She is a professional Japanese comic artist and spent 40 days in a hospital for topical steroids withdrawal. Hannan Chuo Hospital is one of the few (perhaps only) hospitals in Japan, where you can stay for TSW. I've written about the hospital several times on my blog along with Dr. Kenji Sato.

Sometimes I've wished that there was an actual TSW village, where you can spend your entire recovery time with fellow patients. I think Hannan Chuo Hospital is the closest to it. It's interesting to look at it through Ms. Numajiri's eyes, and certainly, there are many details which we can relate to.

The comic is written in a Japanese manga style, so please read from right to left, top to bottom.
You can click each image to enlarge. Hope you enjoy it! 










Comments

  1. LOVE! Thanks for posting this. It is brilliant. It's such a shame there aren't more hospitals like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise! I've got another episode of comic translated and will upload soon. I hope that there were more hospitals like this too.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I love your blog!

    I am newer to the whole TSW (the first time I was going through TSW I had no idea it existed so I thought my eczema had just gotten crazy and I had gotten a staph infection... the latter was true).
    Now that I know where I'm at firmly, I'm just trying to figure out how to handle each day by day (started in August 2015) and keep trucking ahead. I plan to start physical therapy school in June and hope I will be functional enough to get through it but I will plan for all contingencies.
    The whole idea of a community of people with TSW is awesome. Maybe the idea of TSW hospitals or retreats or something of the sort will form in other countries and more people will find support that way. It gets so exhausting having to explain why my arms are red or my skin is also flaking, though I do have a lot of support from friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cal! Thank you for your comment. I can totally relate to your experience. I'm glad to hear that you have a good support from friends and family. I hope your skin is better by the time you start your course in June!

      Delete
  3. Hi There, Can you tell me how long you were in the hospital for? I'm from Canada and have emailed asking what their policies are for admitting oversea patients. Also the expense, however no one has responded. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I only visited for a day for a consultation and wasn't hospitalised. This is Dr. Sato's hospital website and there are two email addresses:https://hannan-chuo-hsp.or.jp/shinryoka/hifuka/ Maybe you could try there?

      Delete

Post a Comment